At ECS, our driving force is turning investment into value while prioritizing the best interests of our investors. We are committed to delivering exceptional returns through a relationship built on ethics, trust, and transparency.
Integrity, teamwork, excellence, innovation.
In December 2022, a consortium led by investment funds advised by Davidson Kempner Capital Management completed the acquisition of ECS. This partnership presents an exceptional opportunity for ECS to build on many years of success as a leading investment manager in the Portuguese private equity sector, and the opportunity to grow the platform and asset portfolio over the coming years.
EST SINCE 1983
Davidson Kempner Capital Management is a global investment management firm with 40 years of experience and a focus on fundamental investing with a multi-strategy approach. Davidson Kempner has over 500 employees across offices in New York, Philadelphia, London, Dublin, Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Mumbai.
EST SINCE 2006
The firm was founded in 2006, and has established itself early on as a leader in the domestic private investments sector by managing, structuring and executing investments in companies and assets with long-term capital appreciation opportunities.
Our journey to the present has gone through different phases in accordance with varying market cycles and evolving business opportunities:
- Positive GDP growth prospects
- High availability of debt
- PE sector emerging as a new source of capital in Portugal
Firm was established as a generalist growth/buyout PE fund manager, launching its 1st fund (FA)
- Signs of economic slowdown
- Government borrowing costs sore and internal demand collapses
- Growth of NPLs
First mover shift towards corporate distressed debt, becoming market leader with an innovative approach
- Sovereign debt crisis and severe austerity measures imposed by the government
- Asset prices depreciation and increased real estate NPLs
Expansion into real estate distress debt investments
- Renewed focus on growth
- Yields peaked since the onset of the financial crisis, a trend which was reversed
Focus on optimizing operational platforms and in value creation opportunities, through asset development and repositioning
- Strong market momentum, with increasing investment volumes and prime yields dropping to record low levels
- Tourism industry thriving, with increasing reputation and growing demand
Monetize value created and profit from market momentum